.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Am I The Only One?

Thursday, December 09, 2004

We Are Sorry, Music World

I was shocked this morning to read of the on-stage shooting of Pantera guitarist Darrell Abbott and 4 other people at a rock club right here in C-bus. I was running errands in that neighborhood last night, yet I did not hear about the news until this morning.

The venue was similar to hundreds around the midwest: a small, run-down venue in a blue collar part of town, with a capacity of about 500. I was struck by the similarities to the club in Rhode Island that burned down during a Great White concert last February. I do not think there is a connection between the two incidents, except that they both point to a possible need to rethink safety measure in clubs of this size; the club last night had no off-duty police inside and no metal detectors or surveillance equipment.

And yet amid the chaos, heros have emerged. Columbus Officer James Niggemeyer responded to the call instantly and without backup, in time to find the perpetrator on stage preparing to kill his hostage. The officer was able to shoot the perpetrator in time to save the life of the hostage. And one spectator apparently lept on stage to stop the gunman, then directed the police officer to the gunman's location.

2 Comments:

  • I'm sorry, I'm rather slow these days, don't know if I thanked you for your coming-out support. Most appreciated. ;) Will now try and pretend I didn't read this post, v scary thing, v scary world.

    By Blogger Lioness, at 7:09 PM  

  • That officer has a very unfortunate name, my friend.

    By Blogger Ang, at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home